Tuesday, October 16, 2012

edge of a flower



She has wandered far from faith
far from a  day when her world
folded within  a sweet Holy song;
followed  heels of an old priest
the old church, the whole family
layered like the ages of Earth

far from belief

where now we seem to be fools in folly
when death takes love and
time leaves us empty.

Time is a perfecting tide
come to erase random prints on shore
a choice remains -within us,
in the strength given our arms-
do we rise…or drown

She has wandered far from me
and I grieve, as in those takings,  
a wall like finality, separations
that bar another word, another
kiss; and recall when she sang
that little song of great faith for me.
Sweetness of a child in the apse,
an inheritance of hope…

wandered far….Now I must
have faith for two, reflect hopes of many. The love
that comes after tears, after the leavings, after
echoes of  door close

 She has wandered far,
while I hold a faith in happiness-
like the edge of a flower - and wait.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Howard, this poem speaks a story.. of lost love and faith, so sad...I like the last stanza, where you have faith for two and wait with the flower... very tender words and images here, it's a touching story that leaves a strong impression..

howard said...

I don't think it is sad, it simply is...happiness is not all sweetness, for me it is a blend- the wonderful the miserable-- in the end we are happy despite the bad and in contrast we appreciate the good-- i often say without a touch of sadness, a samba is just a song

these feelings are part of me, a happy optimistic man...

Susanne Donoghue said...

Sometimes happiness is a sweet, sharp ache that can only be expressed in words. You are right to keep faith, for her and for you. I do so for my daughter. The beauty that is the universe will call her home again, wiser than before, and as the poet says, "to know the place for the very first time." This is an awesome write, Howard!

howard said...

ahh Susanne-
really the heart does not give us a choice-- we follow or we ache...thank you...H