Monday, August 20, 2012

Mãe

she will dance to our favored songs
fill the mind's eye with smiles--
oh, such poor covers for love
as deep as the sea; or the
warmth in the hearts that hold her
precious as breath.

She will lighten rooms of the spirit
just as she filled spaces once shared--
where laughter yet is felt in walls and ceilings--
everywhere she touched so many
with care...

Words that cut to the core, that
made rock beneath the feet,
and children stood and grew to know
even more--such rare truth

and it is true of Mother as
of no other--we begin life
inside of her, warm in her womb,
with God's grace we end life
with her, living and growing
inside of us...still

bringing the dearest smiles
a sea of sweetest tears...
and the Love that made us,
and keeps us...forever


Para Mariza,  meu Bom...


4 comments:

Mari Góes said...

Those are indeed the thoughts and feelings I share with my sisters and brothers.
Beautiful poem, thank you!

howard said...

Mari~
I remember when I spoke to her, her voice was quiet and sweet--and i came away feeling warm and wonderful...h

Susanne Donoghue said...

Such a beautiful poem. I was just writing about my mom, who died tragically young, and I found this at the bottom of the page. Thank you so much, for putting my/your feelings to words.

howard said...

Susanne
I hope everyone can realize something about the Mother in their lives from a moment like the one we share here...so great a loss, so great a treasure...

Thank you Dear