Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Arrogance and error


In Bloomington Illinois the streets have names
of old and scarce breeds of trees

on Walnut street i see dried black shells
on Mulberry Street white and dark
females with fruit
and on Locust street the honey gold flower
drapes the day and perfumes the night air.

In Franklin Park, the old, historic homes have
wide-trunked elders, somber trees
they have seen our arrogance and error
and love us still

on my shoe...
yesterday's chewing gum
last year's maple flyers

My lover and I cannot touch hands
when we hug the old red maple near home
it is a tree
with muscular arms
and broad shoulders-- like Sandburg's Chicago

Coming back after a walk downtown
from the empty Sunday night streets
I enter through the side door
and not one of other three...

on my computer screen
a flying ant crosses...
the Orion nebula

No comments: