Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Loss




A window pane can separate
The seen from that we can touch
But it leaves the airy space open
To that which we can feel

As if you were last there
Near the corner turn, and away
From my sight you go,  and I
Must imagine you, and all I know of you
Is in memory.

It is this way today
The bright sky perceived in a patina, gone gray
The way a bright gull becomes dull, mottled brown
As it floats to ground and sheds the sun
So another breath gone still, nothing in this space
Nothing in that tomorrow…

I close eyes and see a boat passing by
The water swelled in its bow and quieting in its wake
Until still, and moving only
Because of the wind or the unseen tug of the world
And I think the boat has gone, until
The water swirls again; reminding me of
the ceaseless ways of a journey.

No comments: